|Mike and Sherry Vario, Youth Directors|
Mike and Sherry met on a blind date in 1988 and have been best friends ever since. Mike has a bachelor’s degree in Business Management from George Fox University, and Sherry has a degree in art from Western Oregon State College. Mike works full time for a local nursery company as a shipping and transportation manager and Sherry works at home to keep things running as smoothly as possible in a house full of boys. We moved from Oregon to Bellingham 11 years ago and LOVE Whatcom county! We enjoy being outside with our kids, whether it’s on the lake in the summer, or on the mountain in the winter. Working with the youth group has been a perfect compliment to our passion for being consistent, involved parents...we love all our students as if they were our own and feel it’s a privilege to spend time with them.
Year Began at Northlake: We began attending Northlake in 2002 and have served as the Volunteer Youth Directors since Fall, 2009.
Family: We were married on the day after Christmas in 1992 and have two great boys, Brad born in 1995 and Nathan born in 1998.
- Mike: “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
- Sherry “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” Philippians 2:3-4
Favorite Vacation Spot: Because we left all our extended family in Oregon when we moved to Bellingham, our favorite place to vacation is with them in the Willamette Valley just northwest of Salem.
Where were you living when you were in first grade? When Mike was in the first grade, he lived in Amity, Oregon. When Sherry was in the first grade, she lived in Thousand Oaks, California.
- Books: Mike (Lord of the Rings Trilogy) Sherry (I am not, but I know I AM – Louie Giglio)
- Superhero: Mike (Superman) Sherry (Seriously? – you know these aren’t real right?)
- TV show: Mike (Deadliest Catch) Sherry (I’d rather read)
- Food: Mike (Pizza) Sherry (popcorn)
- Local Restaurant: Mike (Anthony’s) Sherry (Busara)
- Music: Mike (Christian Rock) Sherry (Contemporary Christian Worship)
Place you'd like to travel to (that you've not yet been): Mike (Italy) Sherry (Italy)...maybe for our 50th wedding anniversary??
Dream for Northlake: Our dream for Northlake is that every person here falls desperately, madly, totally in love with Christ, and that they sell out to Him with their whole lives.